Deciding to self-publish is an exhilarating decision, albeit occasionally daunting. However with the right guidance and professional partner in print you can find success in your project. Our dedicated team of print publishing specialists is on hand to guide you through your project, offering recommendations and collaborating with you from start to finish. Get the ball rolling by requesting a quote here.
If you’re looking for a cost effective solution for producing your book, then using a short run digital book printer such as CMP is the right choice. We can print books from print ready PDF files, but if you do not know how to create a PDF, don’t despair we have a network of people to assist with this also.
So whether you just want a few copies of your self-publishing book in print - for friends and family perhaps - or would like to see your book for sale on the likes of Amazon, CMP Book Printing are here to help.
Feel free to call us on 01202 739993 and speak to our dedicated Customer Services Team.
Your files can be sent to us by any of the following methods:
- File upload, submit directly via our Secure FTP - this can be accessed by clicking here - please speak to us to obtain password and login details.
- If your artwork files are less than 10MB in size, we would recommend you send these via email to -
- Alternately larger files can be sent to us free of charge on CD or memory stick – or you may choose to use any of the following: www.mailbigfile.com | www.wetransfer.com.
- Submit two separate files as a print ready PDF please, one for the cover with all fonts and images embedded, and a 3mm bleed allowance. We can supply you with a cover laydown guide to make this accurate. The inner file as a PDF again in single page order from page 1 to the back of the book, with all fonts and any images embedded. Please ensure the file is set to the finished trimmed size of the book i.e.: If you want a ‘B’ format book then the file page size should be set to 197x134mm.
- Make sure the manuscript is all in one file and not broken up.
If you have any questions about file submissions, call CMP Book Printing on 01202 739993 and one of our dedicated Customer Services team member’s will be happy to assist.
Every published book features its own unique identifier, which is known as the International Standard Book Number (ISBN). 13 digits in length, the ISBN is the number used for all aspects of ordering, stocking, cataloguing, selling and monitoring sales of your book. No matter where your book is launched, it will have the same ISBN and this will be unlike any other.
Getting an ISBN through Nielsen BookData UK
The ISBN Agency for the UK and Republic of Ireland is Nielsen BookData UK – the source from which all new ISBNs must be bought. If you contact the agency yourself, you’ll need to buy a block of ten ISBNs and from these, it’s up to you which you use for the book you’re looking to print.
Of course, you may not want to buy ten or have any real need for them, which is where we can help. We have built a close partnership with Nielsen BookData UK and can therefore provide you with just a single ISBN as and when required.
Nielsen BookData UK:
- Allocate the International Standard Book Numbers (ISBNs).
- Offer advice on the correct use of ISBNs.
- Manage the global database of ISBNs, both those in use and available.
- Are the world’s only global resource for the registration and monitoring of book sales.
- Offer audience measurement and marketing information to publishers and self-publishers.
Please be aware of the following prior to sending yours files in:
- Your manuscript (inner file) should be sent in the form of one complete document, not a series of documents.
- When numbering your pages, remember that odd numbers (as a rule of thumb) usually go on the right.
- When starting a new chapter, start a fresh page. The best way to do this is use Ctrl + Return to create a page break.
- You can choose your own font; the most commonly used is size 11pt Times New Roman.
- Around the page you should ensure that the margins are set to 15mm (1.5cm), but this is flexible if you need something different.
- Most importantly, ensure you set the document up at the correct page size, from the beginning; this will save you a lot of time and money.
- Be advised: We won’t make any changes to your document so you need to make sure it is submitted EXACTLY as you would like it to be printed. Check it, check it and check it again before sending it in to us! Our aim is to help you produce your book, as cheaply and efficiently as possible, whilst maintaining quality, and service to you our client.
When putting any pictures into your self-publishing book, it’s important to be aware that you and you alone, must own the rights to them or have been granted permission by their owner to use them.
- Ensure the image(s) print to a good quality, making them at least 300dpi. Anything lower may look fine on any computer, but will certainly look terrible in print.
- When colour images are being used, make sure they are NOT RGB, but CMYK. Bear in mind also, that if you have a few colour pages in your book it is cheaper to group them in a ‘plate section’ in one or two places within the book.
- If looking to make cost savings, it’s worth remembering that black and white pictures are far cheaper to print than colour images, or alternatively, grouping them as mentioned above.
The old saying goes ‘never judge a book by its cover’, but it seems in contrast to this, many of us do. As such, it’s worth bearing in mind that sales of your book will (to a large extent) be determined by the look of the cover, so never take for granted how important the design is.
- Please ensure the file supplied to us is in PDF format and in CMYK.
- Likewise, with the inner images, it is important to only use images you have the legal rights to.
- Put all artwork for the cover of the book, the rear and the spine all in a single file and in the form of one single unbroken image with 3mm bleed and crop marks if you can.
- If needed, we can supply a detailed cover laydown guide.
Through our network of experts, we can help design your cover to a print-ready PDF format, so please feel free to ask for assistance, by calling us on 01202 739993.